Writing 101 Class
Want To Make the Grade?
Here’s a Writing Class That Will Show You How!
Good writing informs, persuades, and inspires its audience. It can make us laugh out loud. It can challenge our hearts and our minds. But it takes training to develop these abilities. In six online webinar sessions, this class lays the foundations for effective writing. We will investigate everything from formulating a thesis to writing clear sentences. Plus, we’ll explore the 10 secrets to writing. You’ll return to school ready to tackle any writing project.
When is the class?
- Spring Class, Sundays, February 5, 2023 – March 12, 2023
- 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. CST
- Summer Class, Mondays, June 26, 2023 – July 31, 2023
- 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. CST
Benefits of this class:
- Make better grades in school
- Develop the skills you need to get a higher score on the writing section of the SAT or ACT
- Build your confidence in writing
How is Writing 101 structured?
- 6-week webinar offered one hour per week
- The student receives writing assignments each week
- Participants gain exposure to the 10 secrets to writing, as well as the fundamentals for effective writing
- Training material is included in the price
What are the class requirements?
Prior to the start of the College Admissions Essay Boot Camp, participants should choose three essay questions that they want to work on during the boot camp. If you (the student) are unsure about the schools to which you plan to apply or the questions you want to use, we recommend that you review the Common Application (www.commonapp.org) and consider using the Common Application writing prompts.
To access the online webinar, students need to have a computer with the following operating system: Windows XP (or newer) or Mac with OS X 10.6 (or newer). You can also connect to the webinar from your Ipad, Android, or Iphone.
Stanley B. Lemons
- Texas Southern University, Doctoral Student in Education, Houston, TX
- UCLA Anderson School, M.B.A., Los Angeles, CA
- Amherst College, B.A, Amherst, MA
- Georgetown University, Visiting Student, Washington D.C.
- Harvard Business School, Executive Education, Cambridge, MA
- Northwestern University (Kellogg), Executive Education, Evanston, IL
- Greenhill School, Dallas, TX
- Writer/Published Author
- College Counselor
- Scholarship Reviewer, UCLA Alumni Scholarships for Incoming Freshman
- Upward Bound Counselor
- Coro Foundation Public Affairs Fellow
- Returned Peace Corps Volunteer
- Peace Corps Recruiter
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Global Marketing and Communications Strategist: The Coca-Cola Company, Citigroup,
- Southern Methodist University (SMU), S.B. Lemons & Company
Frequently Asked Questions
- How will this class benefit my student?
The goal of the Writing 101 Class is to help students improve their writing skills. The class will also help students with standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT. Moreover, research indicates that students with strong writing skills perform better in college. Writing is a powerful, life-long skill. We consider our Writing 101 Class to be a wonderful gift that parents can give their students.
- What will my student do each week in the class?
Students will participate in a one-hour webinar session each week for a period of six weeks. The class is scheduled for a set time each week according to your time zone. Additionally, students will have assignments to complete each week. The assignments include reading, writing, and grammar exercises.
- How will my student get personal attention?
During the six-week class, students will have writing assignments. Each student will be required to email us the completed assignments/papers. We review each assignment and provide students with feedback.
- Can you tell me more about your curriculum?
We developed the curriculum for this class. The curriculum includes our 10-step writing process, grammar practice, and writing assignments.
- Will my student be able to ask questions during the class?
Yes. During each online class meeting, students can ask questions via the chatbox. As this is a live online class, the instructor is present to ask and answer questions.
- Will my student get a reminder about the class each week?
Yes. The webinar platform will send a reminder email each week to the person who is registered for the class.
- Who are the instructors?
Our instructors are experienced educators with advanced degrees. Please feel free to check out our staff page on our website, the secrettowriting.com, in order to get a sense of the caliber of our team members.
- Do you offer tutoring services?
Yes. We welcome the opportunity to provide in-person or online tutoring for your student.
- Do you have classes for professionals and working adults?
Yes. Please check out our Writing2020 class.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
We reserve the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment. In the event a course is cancelled, please allow 4-6 weeks from the scheduled date of the course to receive a refund. We also reserve the right to require the withdrawal of any participant whose conduct is unsatisfactory or who appears unlikely to benefit from the program. If the directors of the program make this decision, a refund will be given for the remaining portion of class fees. We reserve the right to make staffing, schedule, or location changes as may be necessary.
If you wish to cancel your registration 15 days or more before the course, you will receive a complete refund, minus a $100 processing fee per cancelled ticket. Please allow 4-6 weeks after the conclusion of the scheduled class to receive your refund. No refunds will be issued to any registration cancelled 14 days or less before the event.
“Hey Mr. Stan. This is Whitney. I really loved your class and think that it’s a great writing class. Thank you for teaching me more about being a good writer. I never knew there was so much involved with writing until I took this class. I guess I’m a lucky kid to be able to learn all of this at such a young and early age (11). Again, thank you for the lessons, all of the teachings and for giving me a head start in life. I will always remember everything you taught me.”
“As a parent of two middle schoolers, I was thrilled that my boys could hone their writing skills with Stan Lemons. Stan imparted in them an understanding of the writing process and impressed upon them that good writing requires planning and methodology. Stan teaches that throwing words onto the page at the last minute to complete an assignment for school is not an option. The couple of times I was within hearing distance of Stan’s online class, I was impressed by how his animated personality and gentle humor kept my kids engaged and focused. I strongly recommend his classes to parents whose children’s writing is in need of improvement.”
Alex Wolf, Esq.
Parent, New York
“My two children who are 11 and 13 years old recently took the Writing 101 Class of TheSecretToWriting.com. In my honest opinion, this class was absolutely fantastic, and I would highly recommend it! Although I was an English major back in the day, I must say that I didn’t figure some of this stuff out until I was well into college. Naturally, I wrote a lot of papers back then.
Stan Lemons, founder of the Program, who attended Amherst (Philosophy) and UCLA (MBA) provides students with a template for approaching any writing assignment. I didn’t realize it until I listened in, but it’s the same approach/template (with some variation) that many writers use, and it’s one that WORKS!
I told my kids that if they remember to implement the template that he provides with any and all writing assignments–papers, essays or reports, it will help them to deliver their best work, with minimal stress and in a timely fashion. Although my kids took the course during the summer, it could easily be taken throughout the school year by middle school, high school as well as college students.”
Parent and Financial Services Executive
Summer 6/26/2023 – 7/31/2023
There are no reviews yet.